HOW TO APPLY FOR A PASSPORT
Should you apply in person?
- You are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen or damaged
- Your previous U.S. passport has expired & was issued more than 15 years ago
- Your previous passport has expired and it was issued when you were under 16
- Your name has changed since your passport was issued and you do not have a legal document formally changing your name
NOTES: All persons must have their own passports, including infants.
HOW MINORS CAN APPLY
For All Minors Ages 15 and Under:
- Each minor child shall appear in person
- All applications for children under 15 require both parents’ or legal guardian’s consent.
(See Special Requirements for Children Ages 15 and Under)
APPLYING IN PERSON
To Apply in Person for a U.S. Passport you must:
- Provide Application for Passport, Form DS-11
- Form DS-11
- Or, forms can be obtained in person from the Title Division Main and South Branches
- Call (330) 630-7200 to have forms mailed to you
NOTE: Please do NOT sign the DS-11 application form until the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so.
Present Proof of U.S. Citizenship
All documentation submitted as evidence of U.S. Citizenship will be returned with the issued passport. You may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following:
- Previous U.S. Passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports are not acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship.)
- Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state
NOTE: A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature and
the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth.
Present Proof of Identity
You may prove your identity with any one of these, if you are recognizable:
Provide One Passport Photo
Your photograph must be:
- Previous U.S. passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports are not acceptable as proof of identity.)
- Naturalization Certificate
- Current, valid
- Driver's license
- Government ID: city, state or federal
- Military ID: military and dependents
Pay the Applicable Fee
Provide a Social Security Number
- 2x2 inches in size
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken in normal street attire
If you do not provide your Social Security Number, the Internal Revenue Service may impose a $500 penalty.
If you have any questions please call your nearest IRS office.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A PASSPORT RENEWAL
Should you apply for a Passport Renewal by Mail?
How do I apply by Mail?
- You already have a passport that is not damaged
- You received it within the past 15 years
- You were at least age 16 when it was issued
- You still have the same name listed on the passport you are renewing (or you can legally document your name change)
- Complete Apllication For Passport by Mail, Form DS-82
Attach to it:
- Form DS-82
- Be sure to sign and date your application
- Your most recent passport
- Two identical passport photographs
- And, a $130 fee payable to the U.S. Department of State
- If you need your passport urgently, you may request Expedited Service
NOTE: Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport
If your name has changed since your passport was issued:
- Enclose a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change
(e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree or court order).
- No photocopies accepted
NOTE: If your name has changed by other means, you must apply in person (See Applying in Person).
Mail in a padded envelope to:
- National Passport Processing
P.O. Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
You will receive your passport in about 3 weeks from the date you applied. If you have not received your passport and are traveling within the next 7 days,
please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-4USA-PPT
- Cost in addition to regular application fees, is $60 per application plus overnight delivery
- Two-way overnight delivery is strongly suggested
- If you mail in - clearly mark Expedited on the envelope
- Anyone may request expedited service for any type of application (e.g., first-time applications, renewals, amendments of existing passports, etc)
- Passport applications sent together or at the same time do not necessarily remain together
- Passports will be mailed separately
All fees are set by the U.S. Department of State
Passport Book Application Fees (payable to: "U.S. Department of State")
- $130 (16 years of age or older)
- $100 (15 years of age and under)
Passport Card Fees (payable to: "U.S. Department of State")
- $30 (16 years of age or older)
- $15 (15 years of age and under)
Execution Fee (payable to: "Summit County Clerk of Courts")
- $35 (All passport applications)
WHERE TO APPLY
- Main Office
1030 E. Tallmadge Avenue
Akron, OH 44310
- South Branch
3333 Massillon Road
Akron, OH 44312
- North Branch
10333 Northfield Road, Unit 152
Northfield Village, OH 44067
- West Branch - Fairlawn
620 Ridgewood Crossing Dr.
Fairlawn, OH 44333
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday
(Except for Legal Holidays)
- 8:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
(Northfield Branch Only)
- 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
(Main Office Only)
- 8:00 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
(Main Office Only)
- Clerk of Courts
Title & Passport Division
1030 E. Tallmadge Avenue
Akron, Ohio 44310